Once spring returns to the Adirondacks, it’s no surprise that a lot of people start to think about spending some time in the great outdoors. Trees are budding, and birds are singing – and the maple sap is flowing! Why not take advantage of the beautiful weather and some of our delicious local maple syrup? We’re sharing this recipe to help you enjoy a treat packed with maple flavor while you’re out on the trail.
Maple Energy Bars
- 1 heaping cup pitted dates, packed
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup chopped, unsalted almonds
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- Process dates in a food processor until only small bits remain and dates take on a dough-like consistency, about 1 minute.
- Place oats, almonds, and dates in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Warm the maple syrup and peanut butter in small saucepan over low heat; stir and pour over date mixture and mix, making sure the oats, dates, and nuts are well distributed.
- Once well mixed, press into an 8×8” pan lined with parchment paper. Press until mixture is uniformly flattened.
- Cover with plastic wrap, place in fridge or freezer to set for 20 minutes.
- Remove bars from pan and cut into 9 even squares. These will store in an airtight container for a few days.
Find the ingredients you need at Charlie Johns.
Whether you’re taking them on a hike or serving them as a nutritious after-school snack, you’ll find the ingredients you need for these energy bars, including local maple syrup, right at Charlie Johns. Stop by and see what we have in store for you!