If you’re looking for a quick, easy holiday cookie recipe that is fun to do with the kids, look no further than Italian sprinkle cookies. They require just a few ingredients and are a pretty addition to any holiday cookie platter. And, you can find all the ingredients you need for these cookies right at Charlie Johns!
Italian Sprinkle Cookies
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (melted and cooled)
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. extract of your choice (such as almond, vanilla, or anise)
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2-4 tbsp. milk
- Sprinkles or colored sugar of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat together the melted shortening and the confectioner’s sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time until combined, then beat in extract and orange zest. Finally, beat in flour mixture until well-combined.
- Using a cookie scoop (about 1 ½ tbsp), scoop dough, roll into balls, and place on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until just lightly browned on bottoms. Cool on wire racks.
- While cookies are cooling, whisk together the confectioner’s sugar and 2 tbsp. milk in small bowl. Add more milk as needed for a fairly thin glaze consistency.
- Dip tops of cookies in glaze and add sprinkles before glaze sets. Allow glaze to set before storing.